Monday, March 7, 2016

Update.....

3/3/16 --  So, here's an update on what has been going on with my headache.  I finally decided that I needed to call my Neurologist to let her know what is going on, along with hoping she had a solution to help relieve me of at least some of the pain.  Between a couple of emails and a chat on the phone with her office she prescribed something called a Medrol pack.  This Medrol pack is a steroid pack that is supposed to decrease inflammation and other things.  So, I started this Steroid pack and over a period of a couple days I did notice that the pain finally started to decrease in intensity.  Also, my Primary Care Doctor took me off the BP medication to see if that could be the source of the dizziness that I have been experiencing.
    I took that last of the Medrol Pack Tuesday morning after waking up with a headache, an extreme headache, ended up, after work, coming home, eating lunch, then taking a Tizanidine, and then taking a nap.  The weird thing with that nap was I kept having these really stupid and kind of scary dreams.  However, when I finally woke up and got up the headache was somewhat diminished.  I was able to to go to Church and help out with a program that I help out with every Wednesday night, which was a good thing.  I do enjoy doing this but whenever this headache is in its intensity I just can handle children size chaos.
3/7/16 -- The headache returned with a vengeance, much to my dismay!  I ended up communicating with my Neurologist that has been monitoring this headache crap.  It started as an email, then I called them, at their request.  We discussed more details about my symptoms.  The downside was that she was out of the office - I was conversing with a nurse in her office.  Anyway, Friday was the day that I was able to get a solution, however temporary, to my issue till I see her in about a week.  I am now taking a stronger, long round of this Medrol Pack.  Also, she wants me to rest and taking in plenty of fluids.  The fluids issue is not a problem as I drink 48+oz of water every day.  By the end of my day, after work, quick runs to the grocery store and home; after which I did rest, I also had picked the prescription the Neurologist sent to my pharmacy.  I was to start the full dose of 10 that day then work my way down one tablet at a time.  I will take the last tablet the day before I go to see her which is a very good thing.  I was pretty much down for the count on Friday and all of Saturday.  I would intermittently do different things but would have to lay down for a spell before doing anything.  My head just felt so miserable and as a result I just didn't want to do anything.  However, amazingly enough I did get some things accomplished but not all that I wanted to accomplish.
  Then of course there was drama and my parents house on Saturday night that made it difficult to get to sleep right away.  My dad fell down the basement stairs and was bleed from a gash on the back of his head.  My mom had to all the ambulance plus a firetruck came, which was a good thing because the two emts that came would not have been able to get up my dad up from the basement, he is a big man like 6ft 4in tall and about 250-300lbs plus the hallway leading down to the basement is not exactly wide enough for more that one person at a time.
  My mom did pretty good keeping composed, they local hospital couldn't handle the gash on the back of my dad's head so they sent him to a level 1 trauma center in the next town which is about 30 min. drive from my hometown.  They sent him via chopper and a family friend took my mom as neither one of us has ever been to that part of the town plus the way I felt i wasn't sure about making the drive myself and mom's unfamiliarity with area and emotional state wouldn't have made it that easy to find our way.  The staff in the Level 1 Trauma Center was able to the get the bleeding to stop but they admitted dad and are keeping for the next couple of days.  They are going to do an MRI, and PT will be evaluating him as well.  My mom and I spent the afternoon with him, yesterday, needless to say he is not the best patient.  He still is having a hard time saying what he is thinking and that frustrates him.  He kept wanting to get up but couldn't because of all the stuff he is hooked up too.  He just isn't used to sitting and doing nothing for long stretches.  Even tho he doesn't do a whole lot at home, he does move around.
  When mom and I got back to her place I helped get some stuff put away that the EMTS had to move out of their way, plus I cleaned up the bottom of the stair area so that there was a clearer path to the rest of the basement.  I think I found what dad must have been going for, when he went to the basement,  I picked up a bloody container of what was frozen juice.  You see dad forgot to make sure that the light to the basement was on before going ahead down those stairs, plus he isn't supposed to be going down any stairs because of the his history of falling - per his doctor.  I gotta say, it was rather difficult to see the blood at the bottom of the stairs and on the towel that was down there.  He could have hit is head on anything down there, there is so much crap along the stairs and right in the area that he landed.
  I am still trying to process all this and remain strong for mom - she is recovering from her second knee replacement surgery at the same time very concerned about dad.  Thankfully my little sister has been all settled in her new place, away from the bad care she was receiving so mom doesn't have to worry about her quite as much.
  The thing I am grappling with is DAD going from a strong, intimidating, argumentative, to this weak man that seems to be loving to me than ever before.

No comments:

Post a Comment