Sunday, September 11, 2016

What I was doing......

9/11/16 -- It's interesting what you remember when something traumatic happens, either in your personal life or in the world.
  Sixteen years ago today, I was working in a retail store, in my hometown, in the receiving department, when my boss (at the time) comes running down looking for a tv.  He barely said why, so a bunch of us follow him up to the break room as he set up the tv.  When he was able to get a station, we were all stunned to see the attack on the twin towers.  Those of us that were up there, stood and watched for as long as we could but we had to return to work.  I was working as a Key Receiver, so I had to be in the receiving department for when vendors would come to the back door.  However, I had a radio that I sort of was able to tune into a station that was giving me the news.  I think the entire store was kinda in a dazed mode the whole day.  We did our jobs but we just weren't as focused as we normally would be.  You see, our store manager, at the time, her husband made periodic trips to New York for business, and that was the week that he would have been there.  Thankfully he wasn't to close to the area or his trip was postponed, I think.
  I remember watching a lot of the news until I got tired the same things being shown and repeated.  I listen when there was new information but not long enough to hear the repeated info.  That was most definitely a defining moment in this country, and in my life time.  It's interesting how, every time this anniversary comes up I instantly remember everything that happened that day at work.
  We definitely need to remember all of the people who died that day, not just the ones who were in the buildings but all the first responders who did their jobs knowing they may not go home when all was done that day.  I have never been to New York, I wouldn't mind going to see those memorials, but it takes money to travel and for me that comes in short supply.  I also think that we should be remembering and praying for all of the family members of those who gave their lives, keeping them in our prayers, whenever we think about them.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment