Sunday, April 9, 2017

Something Else Cont.........

4/9/17 -- To continue from my previous posting about my dad.
  My dad went into a Nursing Facility, last late fall, like right around my parents anniversary.  Needless to say, the was a very difficult day for my mom.
   The hardest process for my mom has been slowly but surely going thru the process of gathering info in their financial situation, as well as, applying for state aid for the paying of the Nursing Facility.  I am not completely sure what else my mom deals with because she doesn't really talk about it much.  
  There has been so much that we had learned about the habits of dad, over the last several months.  He had a safety deposit box, that he never told anyone about, a collection of pennies in a ammo box, quite heavy to pick up.  Nothing like finding magazines, videos, and candy around his work station, in the basement.
  I gotta admit that seeing my dad needing help because he just can't do as many things for himself anymore, is very difficult.  I have a very difficult time seeing him in the nursing facility, so sorry to say, I don't go there as often as my sister might.  I think my sister tries to go down for a visit at least once a week but I just can't do that.  I go down and visit with my mom, then we go together to see my dad.  The thing is, this man doesn't talk much and there are just something that I have a hard time helping my dad with, whereas mom can do it with no problem.  I also have to admit, to some degree, I am irritated with my middle sister because she has decided that now is the time to become involved with what is going on with our parents.  She has been keeping her family away from our parents for the last 10 years if not more.  She still doesn't talk much to me, which is so irritating.  However, I guess that I have to deal with my irritation, not let it get to deep inside so it doesn't get in the way of my relationship with God.
  I hope that at some point I will get to a place that I am somewhat more comfortable with visiting with my dad, without my mom.  She ends out going out there sometimes twice a day because Dad actually wants want her there for supper.  She goes out there and takes him to supper, then afterwards, she puts him to bed, then she comes home.  It's been interesting because for a number of years dad has behaved like he didn't want mom around and now he gets mad if she isn't around for supper.  Whatever is going on in his brain had somewhat changed his personality.  I am not complaining about the change either, because he gives kisses much better than he used to.  He most definitely still has his stubborn attitude, and his grumpiness when he wants to be.
  I have no doubt that there will be more very interesting stuff that we will discover over the next several months.
  Dad's neurologist has strongly encouraged mom to take dad to another neurologist in a very familiar hospital, for second opinion.  She wants to be sure that she hasn't missed anything.  You see, it is totally possible that a different neurologist could look at all the results of the tests and MRI and actually see something that she has missed.  Thereby giving us some sort of a diagnosis that may or may not be treatable.  At the very least we would have a direction and a knowledge of how to proceed or what to expect.

No comments:

Post a Comment