Friday, July 7, 2017

Update

7/7/17 -- Oh my, what a week!! The first couple of days of this week, I don't think mom and I thought my sister was going to pull out of this.  She hadn't really woke up and when she did, it seemed like she wasn't really seeing us, at all.  One Wednesday, mom and I were sitting beside her and crying cause we just didn't think she would pull out of it.  My  middle sister joined us for a meeting with the head Dr. to get the full assessment of what's been going on and some possible future scenarios for her.  During this conversation dialysis was mention, something like continuous dialysis because the drs weren't sure her bp could handle it.  They had been having trouble keeping her bp stable, but since they have been giving her cortisol they have been able to back off and stop the meds they had been using to keep her bp up and sort of stable.
  With the cortisol her bp has remained stable so now, they are considering making the switch from the continuous dialysis to the "normal" dialysis, the type that is done 3 days a week and it takes fluid off faster than the slower one.  They weren't able to take the breathing tube out because her hemoglobin count won't stay up.  They aren't willing the compromise her progress so they want to wait till the that hemoglobin stays stable.  The CT Scan they did this morning didn't show any internal bleeding so now they are thinking that whenever clotting happens in the dialysis machine, it shuts down.  Then the nurses have to throw away a significant amount of blood which then could very well be the reason for the hemoglobin drop.  Outside of that she was sleepier today then yesterday, when we were there.
  She was quite a wake and fiesty.  We were there when the Dr. made a second round talking with some interns we think; when he was done talking the dr came into the room to talk to us.  He was talking about the possibility of taking the breathing tube out, the next day; I had uncovered her hand and asked if she wanted to try to give the dr. a thumbs up.  The dr. then added that she could "flip" him off, if she wanted to:  that is exactly what she does! 😂  All of us just cracked up laughing, included the dr. and he leaves the room giving her the "hang loose" symbol with his hands.  To all of us that means the she was feeling better.  
  Mom and I left her last night, feeling like she had turned a good corner.  We were able to brush her hair, which felt good to her. I was able to remove the pony tail holders, the day before, using a scissors, and carefully maneuvering them away from her head so as to not hurt her.  My middle sister was able to get a nurse to help get our sister's hair cleaner than it had been and braided it. 
  I gotta say, I am so thankful for the many people I have been using as my prayer warriors, not only have they been praying for my sister but they have been praying for all of us, and some extra for me so I don't even remotely want to go into a dark place.

No comments:

Post a Comment