Saturday, July 1, 2017

My Little Sister

7/1/17 -- This past week (since Monday) has been an interesting week.  It all started with my mom calling me, as I was sitting down to do some online job searching.  As soon as I answered the phone I could tell something was wrong!  She managed to get out my sister's name before she had to fight back crying so she could tell me what was going on.  She proceeded to explain to me that my sister had taken a turn for the worst since she was hospitalized sometime Sunday.  Evidently, she was having a difficult time breathing on her own so they had to intubate her, meaning put a breathing tube in her so they could help her breath better.  Also, she fought it which means that she was tied down, so that she wouldn't take the breathing tube out, on her own.  I, of course, then made a quick change and a quick trip down to my hometown hospital, so I could be there for my mom and my sister.  My middle sister was also due to join us, that surprised me but a very good thing.  Monday, just wasn't good because we weren't sure if my little sister would survive. It was scary, I mean the dr. was even talking about what we wanted to do if she took another turn for the worst, and mom said to not resuscitate because if she has to be on life support for the rest of her life, then we knew that she wouldn't want that for herself and mom said no because that just isn't her.
  The drs there managed to get her somewhat stabilized and there was talk about sending her to a "teaching hospital" cause they would have the equipment needed to further help her out. The one that is closest to us, didn't have an open bed, but had her name on a close to urgent waiting list.  My sister just looked so shocking to me, with the tubes doing in and coming out of her.  I have never seen her look so bad. 
  Now, she is currently in the closest "teaching hospital" which is the one that she was taken when she was born cause of the birth defect she has.  A bed came available in their ICU or as they call it TLC (which is Trauma, Life Support, Care unit) and boy oh boy, they are on top of everything she needs.  They did a CT scan and found that the tubes leading from her kidneys to her bladder are blocked which explains the infections that she has both in her blood and her ankle.
  Now, Wednesday evening they put tubes directly into her kidneys leading out of her body, so that her urine would drain out instead of being absorbed back into her tissues which is what had been happening causing her to be sick.  On Thursday they inserted a feeding tube so they could begin to get nutrition into her to aid in the healing process.  They are working on weaning her off the ventilator so that they will be able to go in and see what exactly is blocking those tubes and hopefully remove it.
  Mom and I have traveled together to this hospital but yesterday I wasn't able to go due to an interview in the opposite direction.  Mom did say that she was sitting up when she left.  My little sister, finally sitting up is a good thing because she hasn't sat up for 5 weeks due to being in bed, with a cast on her right ankle, but also because she said that it hurt to sit up.  It hurt in her abdominal area, she said whenever she sat up.  You see, in the weeks leading up to this, she had been having some issues with eating.  There were times when she ate that she would gag and puke, it didn't happen all the time, but it did happen often enough that she wouldn't want to eat because she didn't want to puke.  At time of the hospitalization, mom was wanting her aid to work towards getting her to be able to sit up and eventually go to the doctor but by this past Sunday, it was just time to go to the hospital cause it wasn't getting any better.
  Among all this, I have been unemployed for a couple of weeks and need to do at least 20 hours of job hunting activity and looking into taking a class or two that will aid in furthering my knowledge of computer programs, namely Word Excel, and Microsoft office, those types of things, for the type of job that I am seriously looking into.

No comments:

Post a Comment