Thursday, May 4, 2017

Not So Good News

5/4/17 -- So today was an interesting day.
I put in 3 hours at work then was picked up by my sister as our mom and I were on the way to the second opinion on our dad's health issues.  
  This neurologist, after much questions from the doctor and her final examination of dad her diagnosis.  The diagnosis isn't good either; the doctor said he has Progressive Supranuclearpalsy and it's a degenerative disease.  According to the paperwork that the doctor gave us, at the end of the visit, says that death comes 10 years after onset of symptoms.  Hearing that diagnosis and further description from the doctor brought tears to my mom's eyes as it did my own.  I have been holding back a bunch of tears concerning my dad.  You have no idea just how difficult it is for me to see my dad like he is.  This was a man who I love, yet feared growing up.
  According to the doctor this disease is very, very rare.  According to the information that I read on the website that the doctor told us to go to, it's like 10ish people out of 100,000, so rare.  There is work being done on discovering how and why it appears, there has been some discovery but nothing in the way of medications to slow down the symptoms and nothing to diagnose this early.

No comments:

Post a Comment